8/12/19: Classics Elite Soccer Academy announced today that TSAOG Orthopaedics (formerly the San Antonio Orthopaedic Group) will be the team’s official orthopaedic provider for the next five years.
“We feel fortunate to have TSAOG as our new medical partner,” said Aaron Metzger, Director of Coaching for Classics Elite. “Through this partnership, the Classics Elite Soccer Academy will be able to better provide our youth soccer players and families with education and services related to sports injury care and prevention, as well as other health and wellness topics.” He continued, “The priority of any youth sport organization should be a commitment to the safety of the players and we are proud to be partnering with an organization that shares this philosophy.”
“TSAOG is very excited to serve as the official orthopaedic physicians for Classics Elite Soccer Academy,” said TSAOG sports medicine specialist Dr. Christian Balldin. “Playing soccer growing up (in fact, with some of the current coaches at Classics Elite) helped shape me as I was maturing and gave me a passion for sports that has evolved into a career in sports medicine. Now, as a father of four, I appreciate the benefits this program brings children, not just encouraging physical fitness, but fostering personal development.”
In addition to their presence on the sidelines at games, TSAOG orthopaedic staff will be involved with Classics Elite behind the scenes in a variety of ways, including:
- Providing medical coverage for Classics Elite’s specified games and sponsored events.
- Providing a physician in the training room weekly and physician consultations during practices.
- Holding educational sessions for Classics Elite coaches and staff. These sessions will focus on injury prevention and the recognition and treatment of sports-related injuries.
- Arranging CPR training and certification for Classics Elite personnel.
About Classics Elite Soccer Academy: Classics Elite Soccer Academy (CE) has won regional and national recognition as the premier soccer club in San Antonio and one of the top youth sports organizations in South Texas. With over 1,000 players in the San Antonio area, CE services all age groups and all levels of play, enabling players to compete at their highest potential – from their first soccer experience through the rest of their lives.
- About Aaron Metzger: Aaron Metzger is the Director of Coaching and Assistant General Manager for The Classics Elite Soccer Academy. Metzger has his US Soccer “A” License and the United Soccer Coaches (USC) Master Coach Diploma. He has been coaching for over 25 years at the youth, collegiate, and semi-professional levels. Metzger has also been highly involved with the South Texas and Region III ODP programs as well as coaching education programs with United States Youth Soccer and the United Soccer Coaches.
About TSAOG Orthopaedics: Established in 1947, TSAOG Orthopaedics (formerly The San Antonio Orthopaedic Group) provides comprehensive orthopaedic services for San Antonio and surrounding areas. Its 35 specialty trained physicians specialize in diagnosis, treatment, and care for the full range of musculoskeletal disorders.
- About Dr. Christian Balldin: Dr. Balldin is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon, fellowship trained in sports medicine, with TSAOG Orthopaedics. His previous team coverage experience includes the San Antonio Missions, US Ski Team in Colorado, the San Antonio Talons, and the San Antonio Scorpions. He also serves as President of the Texas Society of Sports Medicine (TSSM).